Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Early Rise

I have to start out by saying that I’ve been overwhelmed by the response people are having to this blog.  I’m glad that I can shed light on this disorder and let people know exactly what I’ve been dealing with for the past 6 months.
June 22, 2011.  5:30 am.  My alarm clock is buzzing and my iPhone backup alarm is blaring, too.  Snooze is not an option this morning.  Get up, shower and buy that cup of black coffee at the Exxon station before heading to Kessler for rehab.  Done!  I’m surprised that I can do this twice a week, because lately I’ve been sleeping like a rock.  One day last week my alarm was going off for almost two hours before I heard it.  Gee, I must have been sleeping on my good ear.  I do like going to PT though.  The people there are great, encouraging and most of all, understanding.  I don’t feel so alone when I’m there.
6:50 am and I pull into the parking lot.  Usually at this time I am the only car there, except for the time there was a gaggle of wild turkey, or the time there was a lone duck strolling the parking lot.  This morning, it’s just me and my cup of coffee.  I try to chill out for a few minutes before heading inside, because I never know exactly how doing these exercises will make me feel.  Lately I’ve been dealing with a lot of nausea. 
I always start with the letter board; two identical pieces of paper on the wall with letters all over it.  No I, J or Qs.  (Don’t ask why, I have no clue.)  The idea is to go through the alphabet 3 times, pointing at one letter on the left, then the next letter on the right, and so on.  I’ve been doing this since I started.  Sometimes I would do this while bouncing on a trampoline.  Much harder, but used to simulate a bump road while driving.  Each time I finish the exercise, I see faint, dark spots in my vision for a few minutes afterward.  Not too sure why.  My PT thinks it may not be Vestibular.  Hummm…
Off to the balance exercises.  Today was something new.  He placed a half shaped balance ball on the treadmill and I am to step up with the left foot 30 times, then 30 with the right.  Thank goodness for the railings.  That was tough.  With that same hideous balancing mechanism, stand on it and do squats.  Now that was a sight to see…  I did it though without losing me coffee.
Tomorrow I am heading back for a follow up visit at the Neuroscience Institute.  I’m a little nervous, since things have been getting worse over the past few weeks.  I remember the neurologist telling me last time I was there that if I was fine, just call and cancel the appointment.  Somewhere deep down I was hoping that I’d be able to do that.  No luck.  But…I will not project.  Tomorrow is not here.  I only have today.
I will keep you all posted on what happens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment